With this assignment, students will first learn about the concept and examples of circular economy business through an article on Yle and current examples of circular economy businesses on Sitra’s website. The material will stimulate the student’s thinking about what a circular economy business could look like. This is followed by a personal reflection on the business idea based on the opportunities and identified needs of the living environment. The second part of the exercise can also be done as a group activity.
Duration/length: 2–4 hours. The introduction to the material can also be done in advance.
Development of entrepreneurial work life skills.
Awareness of and confidence in their own abilities.
Ability to set goals and development of competence identity.
Demonstration of perseverance in working towards goals and learning from experiences.
Capacities related to business development
- Identify new business opportunities
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate changes in the business environment
- Master business skills and identify ways to deliver value to customers
- Understand the importance of business support networks
- Generate and evaluate business ideas
- Exploit the opportunities offered by an ecosystem for own ideas
- Understand the requirements of ecological, social, cultural and economic sustainability for business
Which aspects of entrepreneurial skills does the tool strengthen?
Identifying opportunities, evaluating ideas and ethical and sustainable thinking.
First, learn about what the circular economy is through the link to Yle (only in finnish):
Then, via the link below, look at the “Most interesting examples of the circular economy” compiled by Sitra.
Task: Based on the ideas from these examples, think about what kind of circular economy business idea you could set up where you live. Make a short presentation (e.g. video, slide, text, picture). This activity can be conducted in a group.